Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I'm OK, You're OK





It has arrived. The dreaded day for single folks. Last year I fell out of a chair and hit my head on a wall. I think I got drunk too. Probably. But, single Valentines day always makes me sad.

But not this year.

I feel....nothing. Not sad. Not lonely. Not jealous. For the following reasons:

1. I don't watch TV. Seriously. The first time I heard someone speak the words Valentine's was when Robert Inskeep said it on NPR this morning. No lame jewelry and card commercials were in my face, reminding me.

2. For reals, I don't know anyone who has a relationship that I would be dying to be in. Bad sex, distrust, distance, crazy, boredom, cheating..........I hear about it all. And it isn't making me want to be boo'ed up.

3. I've become somewhat anti-contrived corporate bullshit in my old age. Only so much I can handle. Valentine's Day is a made up holiday, by a card company, to exploit romantic love for financial gain. Commercializing love? Is there nothing you won't let them sell you?

4. No one really knows much about Saint Valentine, except that he was martyred and thought to be buried on Feb. 14. So, yea, let's celebrate love today.........?

There. See? I don't care and you shouldn't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment