Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Birthday Dread

I'm already dreading my birthday. It isn't because I'm going to be 27 or anything silly like that. It's because even though I will probably do something with some friends, I will spend the morning and the end of the night alone. For a portion of the day, I won't be special, I will just be that single 27 year old who lives with her cats.

I used to not feel bad about that. I do now. The older you get while remaining single starts to take it's toll. While most of my friends are in long term relationships, married or at least dating someone, I can't even get a dude to flirt with me. And it doesn't help when friends sort of forget who they are speaking around and what might be offensive. I seriously had to listen to a conversation where a friend was discussing how she would never want to be single and the horrifying prospect of not sharing your life with anyone. Yea, thanks. That didn't make me want to shrivel up and die. I didn't go home and make a mixed drink and smoke cigarettes while crying (Note: I actually did). The implication is that being single is something scary and wrong. Which leads to thoughts like-what is wrong with me?

So, yea, birthday dread. I will try to comfort myself with the knowledge that 6 days later I will leave for California and that it will be better than any dude I ever cuddled with at the end of a birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment