Monday, June 20, 2011

Rick Santorum is Against ALL Abortion.....Except When He Isn't

Rick Santorum, former Senator from Pennsylvania, hates abortion. A lot. Here is what he said about it in a June 12th appearance on Meet the Press:

“Do you believe there should be legal exceptions for rape and incest when it comes to abortion?” NBC’s David Gregory asked Santorum.
“I believe that life begins at conception and that life should be guaranteed under the Constitution,” Santorum replied.
“Even in the case of rape or incest? That would be taking a life?” Gregory pressed.
“That would be taking a life,” Santorum agreed. “I believe that any doctor who performs an abortion — I would advocate that any doctor who performs an abortion should be criminally charged for doing so. I have never supported criminalization of abortion for mothers, but I do for people who perform them.”
He also bragged in last week's CNN debate that he had "taken bullets" for the Pro-life cause. Never mind that actual providers of abortion have actually been shot and killed. Santorum probably just sees it as vigilante justice.

The liberal blogosphere has been blowing up with this tidbit of knowledge I am about to drop on you: Rick Santorum's wife had an abortion to save her life. I do not say this to trivialize their no doubt painful experience of having to terminate a pregnancy at 20 weeks. Rather, I would like to point out the incredible amount of hypocrisy spewing from this guy when he  takes the stance that ALL abortions should be illegal-rape, incest and to save a mother's life included. The Santorums had the right to CHOOSE and the choice they made would be impossible if Mr. Santorum's vision for America's abortion law were realized. He would like to deny other families the right that he had-to choose to save his wife.

The satire blog Early Onset of Night put it like this:
“Abortion in any form is wrong,” said Santorum in 2000, three years after the tragedy. “Except for my wife. If your wife’s life was at stake and the only thing that could save her was an abortion, well, too bad. Your wife will have to die. It was different with my wife. You see, I love her. I don’t even know your wife’s name.”
Fuckin Republicans, man. 



No comments:

Post a Comment