Monday, April 11, 2011

Photoshopping Models and the Female Body Image

Do you think you are fat? Chances are you do. I think I am a little fat. I bet you can pick out any 10 ladies on the street and a majority will reveal to you that they think of themselves as overweight. Granted, some of these people may be, but sometimes bitches that are like a size 2 think they are fat. Now, you may want to punch them in their skinny stomach for that, but what it is about our culture that makes even thin women feel like they are overweight?

Probably fucking photoshop.

Photoshop to fix up pictures, make already rail thin women look even thinner and perfect every contour of a model's body. I knew it was happening, but somehow when I saw the cover of a Cosmo or an Elle that thought didn't enter my head. I don't know enough about Photoshop and apparently, I am just not observant enough to catch when it is being used. All I could think of was-I am so fucking fat and will never look like that.

Take heart ladies! I found a website called Photoshop Disasters (Click Here). It finds funny or obvious Photoshop fails. Not surprisingly, most Photoshopping is done on female models. Although these ladies are still pretty skinny in real life, it is nice to have examples of how these images in the media have been doctored up until it becomes impossible for ANY woman to look like that.

A few of my favs:

Did you lose weight? In the same picture? Apparently Ann Taylor posted the original and photoshopped version of this pic on their website. Way to go! Like this lady needed to be any thinner!

Um, what happened to your shoulder? Shark attack? Do you even have an armpit? Craziness.....

The website is probably most interesting for individuals who are photographers, but I still think it is worth it for EVERYONE to take a glance. It made me feel better about NOT looking like ladies in magazines and it is fun to see if you have an eye for catching these things. It's harder than you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment