Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Tea Party and Racism

Tea partiers HATE to be called racist. They insist that they never inject race into the debate and, in fact, some have told me that it is the liberals who play the race card. But, I've always had the sneaking suspicion that some of the umph in the Tea Party is driven by old fashion racism. They can not stand to see a black man in the White House, especially one with a funny name.

Then I saw this:

Suspicions confirmed. Sure, this was contained in an email sent out by a small time Tea Bagger who sits on the Republican Party central committee in Orange County, but this is not the first example (Here, Here and Here).

It's no longer kosher to announce your racism in the media, but this thinly veiled (or not so much) BS is just what the Dr. order for these Tea Partiers. You can be racist, while simultaneously claiming not to be racist. But, COME ON.....a white President would not have people bitching for years about his birth certificate and where he was born. But, because he is black and has a funny name and because they will do ANYTHING to try to delegitimize him, President Barack Obama faces these false accusations to this day. Racism-alive and well.

Update
The Republican official who forwarded the email issued the following apology:

To my fellow Americans and to everyone else who has seen this email I forwarded and was offended by my action, I humbly apologize and ask for your forgiveness of my unwise behavior. I say unwise because at the time I received and forwarded the email, I didn't stop to think about the historic implications and other examples of how this could be offensive.

She still refuses to resign. 

1 comment:

  1. She makes the shit sound complicated: black president's face superimposed on that of fucking chimps.

    "OH SHIT OOPS, FORGOT ABOUT SLAVERY."

    What the fuck? Do you really have to hop in a Dolorian and fire-skate 200 years into the past to--lightbulb!--realize that that shit is offensive? I *hate* apologies like that. Why not just fucking own up to the shit, 100%, and just say "I was a dick for that. There really is no excuse." instead of STARTING that way and ending with "LOL!!! TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT AMISTAD!!"

    Fuck people, sometimes. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete