Monday, March 7, 2011

BYU Honor Code

So, BYU suspended a basketball player for, get this, having premarital sex. It violates their honor code. I personally don't think it is fair to ask a college level athlete to not have sex (have you met some of those guys? They get so much play) but it got me interested in just what this honor code was.

Here it is ladies and gentleman, lifted directly from the BYU Honor Code Office website
As a matter of personal commitment, faculty, administration, staff, and students of Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University—Hawaii, Brigham Young University—Idaho, and LDS Business College seek to demonstrate in daily living on and off campus those moral virtues encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and will
    Be honest
    Live a chaste and virtuous life
    Obey the law and all campus policies
    Use clean language
    Respect others
    Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
    Participate regularly in church services
    Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards
    Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code
Wow, just wow.

1. Be honest-Do white lies count?
2. Live a chaste and virtuous life - Not for the last decade, man.
3. Use clean language-Fuuuuuccccckkkk I can't even clean it up around little kids and my mom-full time? No way.
4. Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse-This basically says to me-abstain from all fun.
 5. Participate regularly in church services- I really can't miss Meet the Press on Sunday morning
6. Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code- And look like a pussy? I don't think so.

I am glad I went to good old Indiana University. I can't imagine what their honor code would be though. Maybe just don't be no bitch?



1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of Bethel College, a college that I would know very little about if not for the three Bethelites I work with.

    Seems that Bethel and BYU both read from a game plan hastily written and signed "Jesus H. Christ"; a plan that states that "determent is easy as saying 'don't do that, children'." And lo, we have regulators saying "No, don't drink", "No, don't smoke", "No, don't have sex", all tied to the ever-frightening truth that Christ cries over many slices of cheesecake every time you sin. Especially when you sin in GOD COLLEGE (because they reprimand you in a room with a cross--shit gets serious).

    Christian Schools. You fail before you even have a chance to play the damn game.

    ReplyDelete