Sunday, March 27, 2011

Only the Good Die Young

One of my friends from high school died yesterday. Admittedly, not someone I had a lot of contact with the last couple years. But we were friends in high school and I had the biggest crush on him. I wrote poetry about him.

The suddeness of it is so jarring. When people are sick you have time to prepare, expect. Sometimes it all just ends in an instant. We are all so fragile.

In high school, when you are that young, you feel infinite, immortal. When I was 19, one of my best friends died when a train hit the bike he was riding. For the first time, it was right there in my face, mortality. If he could die, I could die. I used to lay in bed at night, shaking with the reality of it.

I skipped school with Michael. Smoked with him, partied with him, all those types of shenanigans. I cried when I heard he died yesterday. There is a special bond you have with people who knew you when you were still young and dumb. They can see how far you've come.

Today I am sending out good vibes to Chiddy, his family, best friends and girlfriend.

Remember not to take anyone for granted. It truly is here today, gone tomorrow.

1 comment: