Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Pressure to Get Married

Around Valentines Huffington Post dropped an article by Tracy McMillan (a writer for Mad Men) entitled "Why You're Not Married." It included a numbered list with such things as "You are a slut", "You are a liar" and "You are selfish." (Click Here to read) It caused a lot of controversy and pissed off a lot of single ladies who don't really like being being called names.

Click Here to read a great article written by Brienne Walsh-"An Open Letter to the women who are telling me it is my fault I'm not married", that was written as a response.

"I know it's my fault I'm not married. I know that in the future, if I don't get married, it will be my fault as well. And thanks to the advancements made by the women in the generation above me, it's my decision to make.
Because staying in a bad relationship just because it is heading towards marriage is like putting a plastic bag over your head, and just letting in enough air that you can stay alive."-Brienne Walsh

My sister Maggie once said to me "To be honest, I don't think I want to get married anymore. I've been thinking that it's this regime that promotes straight and narrow heterosexuality and nothing else... And sexuality is never that simple. So, fuck marriage anyway. Let's live off the grid, Theresa."

My sentiment exactly.

I would rather be single FOREVER than have to endure more time in a bad, loveless relationship. Having a man in your life does not guarantee some sort of other worldly happiness. I want my equal. I want a perfect match. And if I don't find that I am perfectly happy living out my life without that.

Plus, weddings are really fucking expensive and I can't even afford to put a CD player in my car.

1 comment:

  1. boyz ain't werth the rising price er hay it takes ter feed em.

    ReplyDelete